Sunday 14 August 2016

Pretty in poppies

Possibly the prettiest dress I've ever made, this was sewn from a Bambiblauw panel from Maai Design. When I saw these stunning panels I just couldn't resist, especially once I realised that R would soon be too big to make a whole dress from one - it was my last chance to try a panel print! Here is what the panel looked like before I finally bit the bullet and cut it up:


The cotton panels are 70cm wide and 140cm long, so finding a way to get the style of dress I wanted out of the limited metrage was quite a challenge. I cut off the skirt sections at either end, which left me with a blue centre section from which to cut a bodice. I tried out the fairy dress bodice (no) and a couple of Japanese sewing book bodices (no, no) before finding one that fit: the top part of dress F from Girls Style Book. I made a muslin first, then added a few centimetres so the bodice would end just below R's belly button. It was a rather tight fit getting the three bodice pieces from my little piece of fabric, but it worked out (just!).

Having splashed out on the stunning panel fabric, I wanted this dress to be perfect. I added lining to the bodice, took my time with the invisible zipper (as opposed to my usual slapdash efforts) and sewed the skirt with French seams. I used some of Maaike's cream piping at the waist, ending it a centimetre or so before the zip to avoid bulkiness. With the Bambiblauw fabric pretty much used up, I bought bias binding to finish the hem and face the armholes, then handstitched (ugh) the armhole facing and the lining.  The results are rather pleasing, if I do say so myself!

Conveniently, the sun came out today after weeks of wintry weather; perfect timing for a trip to the park and some photos of the dress in action!



I just love this dress, and R says she will keep it FOREVER. Poppies and winter sunshine - how wonderful!



10 comments:

  1. It is stunning! Well done on squeezing this pretty dress from the panel! Make sure she wears it lots:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz, it was a challenge, but a good one!

      Delete
  2. Marisa, this dress is simply stunning! Totally worth all the hand stitching. The piping is such a lovely detail. I think I am going to get this print in knit - I feel it is my last chance to use it for Miss R. These girlies are growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenya, amazing what a bit of piping can do! Yes get it in knit, I would love to see how you use it.

      Delete
  3. All your hardwork definitely paid off here - it is an absolutely stunning dress (and I am already planning to go check out these panels and possibly copy it in the future; piping and all). Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha, please do go ahead and make one, I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  4. Ack this is perfection! And considering your girl is bigger than mine you've convinced me I can get a dress out of one of these panels too. Love that you puzzled, slowed down and ended up with such a great result! Two thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, it's just such a pleasure to sew with such beautiful fabric.

      Delete
  5. When she is an old, old lady she will still remember this dress! It is a much better gift than you can imagine and yes, it will last a lifetime ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete