Sunday 3 July 2016

The Arrietty dress

I love it when R makes dressmaking requests, and since seeing the beautiful Studio Ghibli film Arrietty she's been asking for a particular dress from the movie - a red one, with a high neck and long sleeves, that the tiny Arrietty wears to go 'borrowing'.

When R started asking for the dress it was nearly summer, so I told her she'd have to wait until winter. I thought she would probably forget about it, but no, the desire for the dress stayed with her and the requests became demands. Then I came across some thick, red wool jersey at Kim Anh Fabrics and knew this dress had to be made. There remained only the issue of how to draft it, and after much indecision I used the Oliver + S school bus T-shirt as the basis for the top part, shortening it considerably and adding a high neckband (much as Shelley did here - thanks for the inspiration!), then using Dana's First Day Dress for the skirt. All surprisingly easy and pleasant to sew, although it took a few fittings to get it just right.

I sewed a little square of 'apple' jersey to the inside back neckline so R will know which way to put it on, since the front and back of the dress are just about identical except for the seam on the neckband. The dress is such a great fit on R, and has a beautiful twirl to the skirt (not that I could persuade her to demonstrate this for my photos - it was a cold and windy afternoon and our photoshoot had to be extra quick).





In the movie Arrietty goes 'borrowing' with her father, carrying a cross-body bag with a huge button. Just for fun I decided to have a go at the bag. Copying a cartoon character's dress and accessories can be a complicated process. Before you even draft the things you have to figure out what they actually look like, and how that might translate into real materials and designs. I thought I could improve on the bag a bit, making it a less sack-like and more practical, so I drafted a curved messenger-style bag, added some pockets to the lining and put a little stamped cat tag inside (R's favourite bit!). The tape I'd bought for the handle was too narrow so I improvised some 'adapters' to join the handles more neatly to the body of the bag. These echo the design of the bag in the film, conveniently enough! Despite the fact that I had no idea what I was doing, the bag worked out beautifully - in fact, I kind of want one for myself now.

In the movie, Arrietty is a tiny person who lives with her family beneath a house, surviving by secretly 'borrowing' items from the people upstairs. I  promised R that I would photoshop some pictures to make her small, so I enlisted the help of some local wildlife:


I made Arrietty's giant pin (which sadly got cropped out of the cat and cockatoo photos above due to my limited photoshop skills) from a knitting needle and a polystyrene craft ball, just so R would have something to swish around while I took the photographs. I was tempted to keep going and make Arruietty's other accessories too, but they can wait until Halloween (if that's what R chooses to dress up as. She dressed as Studio Ghibli's Kiki one year and that was super cute). Anyway, both the dress and the bag are practical and and R loves both of them. Besides, it is DEFINITELY the weather for high necks and long sleeves!



6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! The hat pin is perfect and I LOVE that you photoshopped her into the wildlife photos. How fun! We have not seen this movie but we have read The Borrowers (and listened to it on CD over and over and over again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Masha! I hadn't thought of putting R onto the book - thanks for that idea! She will love it.

      Delete
  2. Oh Marisa I love this so much. Who wouldn't want to wear a turtleneck wool dress in this weather and that bag! Wow. It looks superb.
    The photo-shoot is fabulous. I was just thinking what a great model she is and then your photoshop photos were the icing on the cake.
    I haven't seen this Ghibli film, but I confess while watching Kiki's delivery service I kept thinking about sewing the outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley - I think this is going to be R's favourite dress ever. It's funny when you watch animated movies and find yourself admiring the clothes, isn't it :)

      Delete
  3. Love this one!! Wow you've outdone yourself with the whole outfit. She looks just like Arriety. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jing! This outfit was really fun to make.

      Delete