Thursday 8 August 2013

Rice bubble muesli bars


I like to put homemade muesli bars in the kids' lunchboxes for a sweet but (relatively) nutritious treat. Until recently I'd been using this recipe, which I like because it's vegan. But I've been on the lookout for something different, and I think I've finally found what I'm looking for: a muesli bar that is light, crunchy and tasty. The kids agree that this one's a keeper.

Rice bubble muesli bars (slightly adapted from this recipe)

Mix together in a large bowl:

1 cup rice bubbles
2 cups quick oats (not traditional - you must get the 'quick' or 'instant' variety)
1/2 cup sultanas
1/3 cup choc chips

Put in a small saucepan:

60g butter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.

Put the saucepan on low/medium heat and stir until the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved. Bring gently to the boil. Once it boils it will start to froth up - turn the heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well so that all the oats and rice bubbles are nicely coated.

Tip the mixture into a baking dish (I use a 20 x 30cm slice pan) lined with baking paper and spread it out evenly. Then, using a metal spatula - or whatever does the job well for you - press the mixture down firmly until the surface is nice and flat. Then press it again. The more you press, the better your bars will hold together.


Put the baking dish in the oven for 5-10 minutes, taking it out when it starts to brown a little on top (you can see how it should look in the photo above). Let it cool down for a while before slicing it into bars. It's easier to slice when it's still a little warm.

I store my bars in an airtight container and as they're always gone by the end of the week I can't say how long they last for - but I can tell you that they are absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment