Wednesday 24 April 2013

Kids' Clothes Week project 1: DMK coat


Got off to a bit of a late start with KWC due to preparations for R's birthday party. Last time round I did some preparations beforehand - planned projects, cut out patterns, chose fabric etc - but this time I've basically done nothing. In fact, the only reason I have something to post today is that I made this coat some weeks ago, then failed to finish it off as the party took over. So, not strictly speaking a KCW project, but having worked on it for an hour last night (30 minutes to find the matching thread I'd been using; 10 minutes to find the buttonhole foot; 20 minutes to sew buttonholes and buttons) I'm just going to say it qualifies.

I love the old-fashioned styling and the fit of the coat on R; it's a little roomy, but that's what I was aiming for. The DMK pattern is very simple and I'm extremely tempted to make another coat in wool, only I've never used wool fabric before and I'm concerned about how well it would wash. Thoughts, anyone?

Pattern: Dear My Kids stylish double-breasted coat
Fabric: Cotton duck lined with quilting cotton (both from Spotlight)
Size: 4T




11 comments:

  1. Love it Marisa - that lining fabric is perfect with the purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sanae. I'm just thrilled that it matches her winter shoes - not something I was thinking about when I chose the fabric, but they do look nice together.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, beautiful coat and snap ;-) I've made one too for my daughter, just have to sew buttons on (and I made it in the crimson duckcloth from Spotlight - great fabric to sew huh!). But it's not a warm fabric and have bought some wool to make a woolen version...will let you know how I go. Have sewn with cashmere before; found that not a problem, only concern with wool is turning out bulking seams (esp. shoulder).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crimson sounds lovely! I'll keep an eye on your blog to see how your wool version goes.

      Delete
  3. Love this coat and I love your color choices! Coincidentally, I just finished this pattern for KCW Day 2 and I made it with wool and lined it with quilting cotton. I'm planning on dry cleaning it at home with the Dryell Home Dry Cleaning kit. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer - I'll have to check out the home dry cleaning option. Didn't know it existed!

      Delete
    2. Hi Jennifer, I'd love to see your wool version - do you have a photo up anywhere of it?

      Delete
  4. Beautiful coat! Can you tell me the name of the lining fabric? I've been trying desperately to find some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you're in Australia or elsewhere, but the lining is quilting cotton from Spotlight Sandown. I spent about an hour in there trying to choose the fabric and in the end found this one on clearance and it was perfect. Good luck with your search!

      Delete