Tuesday 6 November 2012

Slowly sewing...



My sewing output has slowed to a trickle since the marathon effort of Kids' Clothes Week Challenge. I do have a couple of works-in-progress (pyjama pants for K; another bucket hat; the shamefully-still-unsewn back of R's grey linen dress; ) but I'm enjoying taking my time without any deadlines.

The early arrival of a friend's baby, however, forced me to get my act together and actually finish something: a pair of bibs. Now this may sound weird, but I really dislike the word 'bib'. I have no issue with bob... or bub... but there's something about 'bib' that I find unattractive. Worse still is the word 'bapron' (a contraction of 'baby apron'), which is the name that Jess from Craftiness is not Optional gave to the bib in her fantastic tutorial. A while back I made three of these for my niece - they were fun and simple to put together, and they look very sweet on. As the name suggests they are a cross between a bib and an apron, and the underarm ties help them stay on securely. I made mine with cotton poplin on the front and a cosy flannelette for the back.

It's possible that my dislike of the word bib dates back to a job I had in my early twenties, when I worked as a waitress (a very bad one) at a pasta restaurant (a very good one) that provided enormous paper bibs for its patrons. Seeing grown men wearing bibs was not a pretty sight, and tying the bibs on the men, a task I was expected to perform, felt wrong in so many ways. Needless to say, women never accepted the offer of a bib. I think they decided they would rather get pasta sauce on their tops than stoop to wearing one. Or perhaps they were just secure in the knowledge that they were tidier eaters.

Fortunately R has always been a neat eater and a very proficient user of cutlery. And since I have now digressed completely from the topic of sewing, allow me to share a few photos that she took this evening. Sometimes it's interesting to see the world through the eyes of a four-year-old.

still life with tissue box

loungeroom floor. kind of disturbing, even if they are toys...

police van on night patrol


No comments:

Post a Comment